We believe that all children need play in their lives as much as they need to eat and breathe. Play supports the development of our children into balanced adults who can work and play well together. Child-directed play is even better in helping children develop creatively and socially at a better pace for them.
What is Play?
“Play is a fun, enjoyable activity that elevates our spirits and brightens our outlook on life. It expands self-expression, self-knowledge, self-actualization and self-efficacy. Play relieves feelings of stress and boredom, connects us to people in a positive way, stimulates creative thinking and exploration, regulates our emotions, and boosts our ego” (Garry Landreth, 2002).
What is Child-directed Play?
Why is Play important?
Also from Carolyn Webster-Stratton’s Incredible Years program – “Play is an opportunity for children to learn who they are, what they can do, and how to relate to the world around them. Through play, children are able to discover and explore, use their imagination, solve problems, and test out new ideas. Through these experiences, children gradually learn how to gain self-control over their environment, and they become more competent and self-confident.”
Fun Spaces is a member of the US Play Coalition. The US Play Coalition is a nationwide partnership to promote the value of play throughout life. Formed in 2009, the coalition holds conferences, houses resources and advances research in the area of play.
Additional resources on play:
If you want to read deeper research into play and its role in our lives, definitely review the links below:
- Creativity and Play: Fostering Creativity, PBS.org
- The Incredible Years
- International Play Association
- The National Institute of Play
- The impact of teacher-directed and child-directed pretend play on cognitive competence in kindergarten children, Early Childhood Education Journal (2003) Vol.30, No. 4, pp. 241 – 246
- “The serious need for play” by Melinda Wenner, Scientific American Mind, February 2009
- “Play Time – Unstructured play time helps single parent families“, About.com
- The Strong National Museum of Play
Fun Spaces facilitates play in a safe environment for your children. Contact us to bring play for the children at your special event.